Latest posts by MindTheGab (see all)
- Introducing the Symphony Foundation & Community Blog - August 7, 2016
- Building our Community bottom up. Thanks for a great Member Meeting! - May 28, 2016
- The Symphony Software Foundation is Growing – Join the Community! - May 16, 2016
After about 10 (really very busy) months of silence in this blog, I think I owe everyone an update of what’s going on with the Maven Alfresco SDK and more in general with Maven and Alfresco.
Lots happened, and it’s still happening, so here’s an update so that
So first things first, from the Alfresco side:
- As you know, the long journey of Mavenizing the Alfresco build is ended. After Cloud, now Community and soon Enterprise are building with Maven
- Alfresco Community 5.0.a is out and it’s fully built with Maven. Took about 5 years, but we made it, so get finally ready for a fully orchestrated ecosystem here 🙂
- Highly likely the old Java / Eclipse SDK is going to be EOL’d, leaving the Maven SDK as the one and only standard de facto best practice to develop on Alfresco
- We (and Mau specifically) are developing a Maven + Alfresco training that will be delivered at both Alfresco Summits in London and San Francisco. On this note, did you already sign up for Summit US or EMEA? If not, what are you waiting for? The schedule is, once again this year, just A M A Z I N G!
On the SDK side instead we plan to do the following:
- Move the SDK project to Github, consolidating it in the Alfresco organization. The rationale here, apart from consolidation, is to move to a more modern SCM system which would foster even more visibility and community contributions. Pretty excited about that 🙂
- We are preparing the SDK release 2.x, which will be compatible with Alfresco 5.x. In the meanwhile you might want to check out the latest 2.0.0-SNAPSHOTS which are increasingly compatible with 5.0.a (disclaimer: YMMV!). Here all the issues we are targeting to resolve, so some work is still required
- We are seeing community momentum in the SDK like never before, mostly thanks to Ole’s great community help. In particular, Ole has Mavenized already all the samples of the old Java/Eclipse SDK, so we plan to release those together with the new 2.x SDK release and in general make those the reference examples for Alfresco development. Neat isn’t it?
- If you are interested please help us testing the snapshots, opening issues or even provide contributions. Don’t be shy!
Stay tuned, as we plan to wrap up all this work by Summit, so less than 2 months away. I will then going to be presenting together with Maurizio on a full end to end process to manage Alfresco process, from development and release with the Maven SDK to continuous delivery and deployment with Alfresco Boxes, in a session called “Get Your Alfresco Project from Zero to Hero with Maven Alfresco SDK and Alfresco Boxes“.